Go to www.openoffice.org.
Click on Download your copy now.
Click on Get more platforms and languages.
Extract files from the .tar archive by double clicking the icon; extract the file to the desktop.
Make sure you have removed previously installed versions of OpenOffice by running the following command:
- sudo apt-get remove openoffice*.*
Change the directory to the OpenOffice file/directory you just created:
- cd /home/user name/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/
- CAUTION: Enter the name of the root user that has permission to install new programs. Sudo access is required.
- TIP: Start typing the name of the file, then hit tab. This will auto populate the file name and will ensure that you avoid misspellings.
Change the directory to Desktop Integration:
- cd /home/user name/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration/
- This step will give you icons to launch OpenOffice using the graphic user interface (GUI).